morality

Michael Lacey wrote:

> I once lived in China and
> >had a dear friend who was a member of the Communist Party. (Of course

> >the Communists cannot be compared to the Nazis.) Joining the party
was a
> >purely opportunistic act on his part. The disadvantages of not
joining,
> >in terms of advancement, were great.
>
> Would this person not be a fine example the personification of
amorality?

Not this person. In fact he was one of the most principled people I met
in China: trustworthy and unselfish. But maybe joining the Communist
Party is a lesser evil than joining the Nazi party.

To put "advancement" before anything else and to dance to the beat of
the
> drummer who will advance you irrespective of your own ideals

Maybe my friend and Herb didn't have those ideals. Can you blame them
for not having ideals? Maybe ambition was their major ideal.

is one of the
> most despicable actions a human being is capable of performing.

Maybe you are right. But my point is that it is too easy for us to judge

without having faced the dilemma ourselves.

gb