RE: GG: musical revisionism (GGL, June 22, 1968)

Bruce, Mary Jo, and everyone:

Thank you for your kind answers.
I received two other replies directly, and
every reply explained the difficult sentence
plainly.  You are always a great help.

So, if  "nation" to be read as "notion",
the sentence makes more sense.

I checked again the photocopy of the original
typescript I have.
The second letter of the word "n@tion"
looks "a", but looks "o" too.
Probably, the letter was double-typed.

I wish I could reply again to every answer
you both gave me sentence by sentence:
it would take me much time, so let me summerize
what I understand from your explanations.

Bruce wrote:

>My paraphrase:  "If we have longer than one hour available, I suggest
>that the discussion should be broad enough to include the topic of
>musical revisionism.  If this is the case, the musical examples we use
>in the discussion would not have to come from the symphony itself.  By
>not using examples from the symphony, we would not give away in the
>discussion the surprises which Liszt's transcription has in store."

So, besides the performance of Beethoven-Liszt 6th,
GG wanted to include a discussion on the topic of musical
revisionism if a longer program was to be available.
He wanted to use examples from other materials rather than
from the 6th, for if he used examples from the 6th, and
accordingly gave comments (possibly, ciritical, maybe
negative) on Liszt's transcription (it was a practice of
revisionism and GG generally did not think highly of
Liszt as a transcriber) on the whole, the performance
of 6th symphony would sound negatively and the
audience would fail to find its surprisingly good features.

Correct?

As for Dr. Donne, as all of you pointed out,
probably he is the poet John Donne.
The name had passe me in the mind, but
I could not know why "Dr."

MJ wrote:
>John Donne, was a marvelous Metaphysical poet and Dean of St. Paul's
>(thus the title "Dr.").

I see.  Now I understand.  I will add an entry for the footnotes
to inform the possibility that it refers to John Donne.

Again, thank you very much.
I am very happy this list exists on the net and
this kind of discussion available.  Grateful to MJ.

Regards,

Junichi