Re: GG/KJ

Greetings!

>The other thing I know about JK is that he also plays Jazz and
>improvises, and he is wonderful at this.  I also know that he plays the
>piano in a state of trance _ that is, by looking from outside he seems
>really "into" the music, or it seems he is drunk of it (in a good
>sense).
Well, sort of like Robert Schumann... or Beethoven.. OR Mozart. like any
great master (at least from a few centuries ago), one must be able to
improvise.   If you go to the GG website
(http://www.gould.nlc-bnc.ca/egould.htm), you may hear some sound excerpts
of Gould improvising. Though, of course, Gould's improvising is quite
diffirent than KJ's.

>I did not say that he "imitates" GG: what I wanted to say was that
>rather than play Bach in a romantic manner  (in a style of19th century)
>he kept an objective view and I could hear his intension to keep the
>voices separately.  I believe there is another pianist who had this
>intension on playing Bach _ Rosalyn Tureck.
I believe, if my knowledge serves me correctly, that Rosalyn Turreck is a
harpsichordist.   Yet, from what I know, KJ also plays Bach on Harpsichord,
where as GG only playes it on Harpsichord in one recording (which has just
recently surfaced on Sony).  Jarrett also, if I remember, uses somewhat a
more correctly pitched harpsichord, at about a=433-5 (i.e. closer to our
modern day A-flat).

>"how can you say the Jarrett performance is lacking in drama? I feel
>that you were only listening to the "performance", and not the music.
>Well, if this is so, I would listen to Bach played by a robot or
>computer, with its perfectly objective view of the composition, playing
>exactly the note which was printed in a book.  I think what makes music
>come alive is the performer's interpretation of the music he is playing.
Careful.
What makes music come alive is the performance OF THE MUSIC, Not the act of
performance itself. Get what I'm saying?   I'm sure we agree, but i just
wanted to stick that little bit in.