Re: GG/KJ

I usually don't respond to these, but I feel that Ayako Hosono's
views about Glenn Gould versus Keith Jarrett are way off the mark. I have
copies of both the GG and KJ Well-Tempered Clavier recordings, and listen
to both equally.
 It strikes me as extremely odd that Hosono thinks that Jarrett is trying
to imitate Glenn Gould, when his approach to the instrument and aesthetic
battle-plan for playing Bach is based on ideas at the complete opposite
pole from where GG is coming.
 Jarrett says in the liner notes: "This music does not need my
assistance." In other words, he believes that the music of Bach is so
beautiful on its own, that the performer need not impose his ego upon it.
I ask, how can you say the Jarrett performance is lacking in drama? I feel
that you were only listening to the "performance", and not the music.
Jarrett is quite obviously trying to get the listener to hear how much
drama is in the notes themselves. It is not an expression of his personal
feelings or a romantic outpouring; he chooses to play completely without
ego. He "presents" the music, and believes Bach is too perfect and
beautiful to be "interpreted".
 I actually enjoy the KJ performance, and find his approach sound and
legitimate. It is pristine, well-controlled, and soothing to my ears.
I enjoy GG's for totally different reasons: It's exciting, daring, and a
lot of fun. It has much "personality". Jarrett chooses not to let his
personality get in the way of Bach's music, and it works just as well.
Anyone who believes Jarrett has no passion of his own should listen to his
improvised solo concert albums. This should erase all doubts.
Sincerely,
M. White