Re: GG: Bazzana as academic

Dear F-Minors,

	I haven't acquired Bazzana yet, but I do have a theory about his desire to
create a measurable separation between the Gould "cult" and his own
"serious study."  The book is, I understand, based on the musicology
dissertation that he wrote under Richard Taruskin at UC Berkeley (one of
the greats, by the way).  Though academics are quite susceptible to fads of
their own, they tend to look down on fads that they don't share.
Musicology is certainly a discipline that has its share of daring,
cutting-edge thinkers (is it Susan McClary who does the feminist criticism
of Beethoven?) but it is also a discipline in which too pronounced a
deviation from the tried-and-true classics can raise eyebrows.  I assume
that Mr. Bazzana got a Ph.D. in order to qualify himself for academic jobs,
and I would think he would want to make it very, very clear that he is not
some demented Gould freak (as the more conservative musicologists might
view Gould enthusiasts) but rather a very serious musicologist doing real
analysis.  Whether his stated "seriousness" really represents his own
feelings might be open to question--for professional reasons I think he
pretty much has to present himself and his interest in Gould that way.

	Maybe someday we'll read "Kevin Bazzana interviews Kevin Bazzana about
Kevin Bazzana's view of Glenn Gould"!

Robert