Re: GG... a new game and more!

On Thu, 2 Oct 1997, Arin Murphy wrote:

> Hmm... I was excited at the thought of this new game, then found myself at
> a loss to come up with anything. I'm still thinking, actually. Chopin is
> indeed high on the list, though; I'd love to hear GG's insistent, clear
> left hand breaking through the ripply right hand ostentation that Chopin
> devised. He'd really bring it into focus, don't you think?

That lovely Berceuse, which is like a passacaglia?  Everybody else takes
extra time near the end where the right hand ostentation gets especially
ostentatious, but I can imagine GG somehow getting through the whole piece
convincingly at one steady hypnotic tempo (40% slower than anyone else
would dare try it), and making it sound sorta like a Gibbons pavane even
though it's in triple time, and sorta like Ligeti's remarkable
"Passacaglia ungherese," yet also with the moods he projects in
Schoenberg's Op.11 #2 (yum), *and* acknowledging the cross-influence of
the Berceuse into Bill Evans' "Peace Piece." (yum yum)

Bradley Lehman ~ Harrisonburg VA, USA ~ 38.44N+78.87W
bpl@umich.edu ~ http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/