GG: A webchat reality

All kidding aside...
Due to popular demand (and the tremendous fun had at the Gould chat last
night,) I'm going to endeavor to make my Gould IRC channel a more regular
thing. It would be nice to have someone actually show up once in a while -
so far no one ever has. General consensus thus far is that *Tues & Thurs*
evenings would be the best for F_Minors, but because of our disparate time
zones it will be difficult to set up a specific meeting time. I propose we
leave the times flexible, people can just show up as they become available
or decide they have something to say. I'm usually in there around 9pm EST.

I'm hardly an expert, but I use the EFNet IRC network (as opposed to
Undernet or Dalnet or any-other-net) because it's very friendly and not too
bogged down with trolls. The name of the channel is #glenn_gould, and I act
as the Op (Operator) when the room is open. I don't own the channel and I
don't have a helper bot to run it for me when I'm not online, so if anyone
gets there while I'm gone then congratulations! you are officially the Op
in charge. (But if I show up you'd better Op me PDQ, ok? ;-) The name I use
when on IRC is "Simcoe." I'll investigate setting up a bot so we can enjoy
member ID info lines, mail capability and channel protection, but I am not
a Linux operator so the chances are slim at this point. We'll have to start
out bot-less, and if we get assaulted by unsavory visitors we'll just make
the room invite-only and you can MSG me for access. (Don't worry about it
yet, as I've mentioned, it hasn't been the most popular room.)

For those who have no idea what IRC is all about, here's a sloppy guide:
1)  Find yourself an IRC client software package to download. There are a
bunch of shareware and freeware versions out there, and they work just
fine. Mac has two or three and IBM has several more. They're usually small
programs (like an eMail client) and the "bells and whistles" functions will
very depending on which one you use. Standard functions frequently used
include Op, un-Op, kick and ban, topic, action, DCC, message, away, info,
faces, etc. There is an entire realm of "virtual reality" chat client
software out there that will allow you to set up an actual room with little
animated bodies representing different guests and whatever. These things
seem a bit excessive for me and I don't use them... I prefer to just
imagine it all.

2)  When you get your software, follow the instructions and set up your
user preferences - which will include choosing an EFNet server. (You can
find a list of servers online through Altavista or Yahoo or one of those
deals.) Most cities have several servers, most universities operate them. I
use irc.midspring.com out of Atlanta, but the emory server here is good too
- just a bit more crowded. A real busy server will bump you and give
sporadic service, so just try different servers that are local to you until
you find one that doesn't seem too immensely popular.

3)  Once you're configured, the procedure is roughly as follows. Get online
through your ISP. Open your chat software. Establish your nickname and sign
on to your EFNet server. Log into the channel at #glenn_gould. Chat wildly
with me.

IRC is easy and can be a lot of fun. It's a neat way to get instant
information or just ease a little loneliness. I prefer it to the telephone
because there are no long-distance charges and you can carry on with other
things while talking. It's also nice and anonymous (very Gouldy) and you
can exchange electronic files and stuff with other guests. I'd like for
this to become regular, so give it a try and see what you think. If you
need more information on how to get onto the server, try searching for info
on the web. There are a few pages devoted to the topic.

PS- I know it's Thursday (a chat day,) but I will probably be there a bit
late tonight as I'm going to the symphony at 8. I'll be home by 11:30, so
I'll stop by and see if anyone's in. Have a plate of scrambles out for me,
ok? ;-)

"There must be room for mess, for vulgarity. Sometimes, we have to touch
people."

                                  -- Bruce Charlton, writing as Glenn Gould