Re: GG: Triple Fugue, etc.

Greetings, all...

On Tue, 23 Sep 1997, K. Berry wrote:

> I found it interesting that the various Gould performances of the A.of.F
> are so *similar*.  Even as a what, 25 year old, he was playing them at
> much the same tempos and with the same Gouldian touches (such as that
> staccato section about 2/3 through Cp. 1) as he did for the Monsaingeon
> films.  Quite a switch from the Goldbergs.

The organ recording uses a faster tempo for Cp.1 and seems much
less effective.  I like the idea of the detached phrasing that
you mentioned above as it helps to keep the listener focused in
and provides some nice structural relief.  I do feel, however,
that the exact spot where he starts it is a bit odd and it sounds
perhaps a bit *over*-detached (how did Bradley describe this...
using a hiliter pen so that you won't miss the point...).

jh