sitting in the back aisle

hello everyone,
i rarely work up the nerve to post messages.  i am generally content
with being a novice gg fan sitting in the back aisle, listening to your
conversations and absorsbing as much as i can.
so i ask you this..

regarding the solitude trilogy- does anyone know what kind of methods of
orthography gould employed in the transcriptions of the conversations he
had with the interviewees?  did he use any at all when orquestrating the
sounds together, or was it done based upon his sense of sound?

i ask is because in my sociolinguisyics class we recently started
learning about orthoprahic conventions used in conversation analysis -
seems there are few universally agreed upon methods.  i am assuming
gould's intricate audio techniques required severely detailed notations
and such.  do any of these transcriptions survive?

im hoping to someday soon wow my professor with my knowledge of what i
am assuming is an efficient and extraordinary method..

thanks,
eddie vidales
ikarus@uclink4.berkeley.edu