Re: GG Goldbergs 55 v. 81

Hello to all,

I really can't consider the '81 performance to be a disaster at all.  I like
it better musically.  It seems less virtuosic.  When Glenn recorded it the
second (fourth) time, he was less interested in making a good impression and
recorded it how he really thought it ought to sound.

A good analogy:  Hindemith's two Marienlebens. (GG's comparison of course :)
The first Marienleben is an "inspired occasionally untidy masterpiece" (I
paraphrase)  The second is a flawless masterpiece in which every possible
aspect of music has a part to make it work.  While Glenn liked both, he said
that the second version seemed to lose some of the mystery and inspiration of
the first.  This is what I feel about the '55 vs. '81 Goldbergs.  The '81 may
be less inspired and sparkling, but in many ways, everything has a purpose
musically, rhythmically, etc.