Re: Which Goldbergs?

At 9:48 AM -0700 9/4/97, Jim Blackie wrote:
>(WARNING! Stupid newbie question follows)
>
>I'm sure this Goldberg Variations issue has come up many time, but am I
>listening to a GG CD no one else even mentions?  I have his live
>performance of the Goldberg Vs from the Salzburg Festival, 1959.  I was
>told (long ago, before I bought this) that the 50's Goldberg Vs were
>better than the other(s).  While I love this performance, the sound is a
>bit rough .. some hiss and so on.  Is there a studio 50's version that
>is judged "best in class?"

Hi Jim,
   I'm probably missing the point of the post, so consider this to be a
stupid old-timer response to the newbie question...
   You know that there is a 1955 studio recording of GG playing the
Goldbergs, right? That brings the tally of popular commercial recordings of
GG's GBergs to 3 (4 if you count the CBC version.) They are the 1955, the
1980, and the 1959 Salzburg Festspiele.
   The CBC recording of the GBergs is from 1954, right before the 1955
debut recording. It's quite innocent-sounding, and even a bit nervous to my
ears. The 1955 version is GG's famous CBS "Hello world!" recording, and
overall it sounds like 32 flaming arrows shot from a Steinway bow. In
comparison, the 1980 CBS recording (which is sometimes erroneously referred
to as the final recording,) is performed as a unified work in which all 32
pieces flow naturally from one to the other. It reflects a lifetime of
learning for Gould, and makes a wonderful bookend for a career that
encompassed enormous growth and passion. The 1959 Salzburg recording is
chiefly one of novelty value, as not many GG live recordings are widely
available.
    As for finding cheap Gould recordings, Odyssey and CBC Masterworks are
the way to go. You'll skimp a bit on quality, but you'll get a lot of cds
for a little money. Just last month I saw the complete Beeth. Snas (3 cds!)
for $24, and the English & French Suites for $20 each. Way cheap! Contrary
to popular belief these cds are still widely available, though they tend to
be relegated to discount shops like MediaPlay and BestBuy. Lots of small
shops will special order them for you, too.
    Did I miss the real question in your post?

Regards,
Kristen

"There must be room for mess, for vulgarity. Sometimes, we have to touch
people."

                                  -- Bruce Charlton, writing as Glenn Gould