Which Goldbergs?

(WARNING! Stupid newbie question follows)

I'm sure this Goldberg Variations issue has come up many time, but am I
listening to a GG CD no one else even mentions?  I have his live
performance of the Goldberg Vs from the Salzburg Festival, 1959.  I was
told (long ago, before I bought this) that the 50's Goldberg Vs were
better than the other(s).  While I love this performance, the sound is a
bit rough .. some hiss and so on.  Is there a studio 50's version that
is judged "best in class?"

Anyway, this is the CD that started me on a smallish collection of GG
doing non-Bach things (performances that are largely dunned by
newsgroups I read) such as the BEST beethoven piano sonata #8 I EVER
heard even though I suppose it was never intended to be played the way
he does. (I can't read a dot of music). I have it on Odyssey/Columbia
when it was being cleaned out of the stores.  Which I could find some
more of them....  oh well, end of ramble.

Jim in Alexandria (not Egypt)