Re: GG: GG as vocalist -- not sent

Subject:     Re: GG: GG as vocalist -- not sent
Sent:        14/2/97 4:18 PM
To:          f-minor, f_minor@email.rutgers.edu
CC:          Gregory T Romero, gregory.romero@yale.edu
BCC:         Tim Conway, tpconway@ozemail.com.au

I too find GG's humming a most attractive part of his playing. I have
often wondered why he did it so much. After seeing some GG videos for the
first time recently, and after reading other people's ideas on the matter
in recent messages, I have formed a most preposterous hypothesis that
should be laughed out of court, exiled and thrashed to within an inch of
its life, so I am offering it to f-minor as The Only True Reason Why That
Gould Guy Sang.

I once heard of a war casualty who nearly lost a hand. After the war,
remedial surgery was used to sever and then rejoin the nerves in the
damaged wrist. The operation worked up to a point, but

It all goes back to an English woman I knew many years ago. One of her
relatives was in bombers during WWII. During a crash-landing glass cut
one of his wrists very badly. The docs sewed it up as best they could but
his hand became deformed and almost lifeless. After the war, surgeons
like Archibald McIndoe (spelling?) did a great public service by using
plastic surgery and similar techniques to patch people up. One of them
was this bomber crewman.

They re-severed all the nerves in the affected wrist, joined them
together 'properly' (my wife says it's impossible -- or was then), and
told him to hang a brick from the thumb to unbend the deformity. For six
months he carried this brick-on-a-string everywhere, and his hand
gradually resumed its natural shape. When the docs eventually told him to
throw away the brick he found that he could once again use his damaged
hand. The only problem was that the damaged thumb would always perform
the mirror-image action of whatever the other thumb was doing. This was
before zips in trousers became common. He had great difficulty doing and
undoing his fly-buttons

Tim Conway          mail:               Conway Consulting Pty Ltd
                                 301 Glenfern Road (P O Box 1042)
                                       Upwey, VIC 3158, Australia
                    tel:                          +61.3.9754.8544
                    fax:                          +61.3.9752.5309
                    email:              <tpconway@ozemail.com.au>
Never disregard a book because the author...is a foolish fellow.
                                                 - Lord Melbourne