GG: Italian Concerto

Greetings, all!

I think GG really didn't like the Italian Concerto too much, but it seems
to be one of those pieces that he mastered very early on, so it got
trotted out a fair bit on early concert programs and it *was* one of the
pieces he used to follow up on the big success of the '55 Goldbergs
recording.

The Italian Concerto is one of those flashy showpieces that Bach wrote
early on as a virtuoso keyboardist.  Gould's criticism of it always
focused on it's lack of contrapuntal interest and the fact that it was
a showpiece for keyboard virtuosity (he hated these kinds of
quasi-competitive displays...).

I was very surprised to learn that he re-recorded this in the early 80s
(or did he just have *plans* to?).  First off, he rarely re-recorded
*anything* and to re-record something that he had openly criticised for
so long seems odd.  Of course, he recorded Chopin and Haydn shortly before
his death too, and one can't imagine him having much interest in *those*
projects ten or fifteen years earlier.

It's supremely enigmatic that GG would record "pieces of fluff" like the
fugue on the name BACH (included on the Art of Fugue disc) and pass over
a first complete recording on piano of a monumental work like the ART OF
FUGUE, for which he obviously had great empathy.

BTW, I'm enjoying the ART OF FUGUE disc a lot....it's just great to hear
piano renditions of items like the final triple fugue of this awesome
work.

Wow,*dig* the sound quality of those CBC radio broadcasts...(NOT!).
At McGill, we used to hear jokes about CBC recording technicians whose
primary background was in refrigerator repair....yikes....thanks for that
written disclaimer in the liner notes, Mr. Sony.

jh