Re: GG: Images

John said:

>2.  It's [IMAGES] basically the GG sampler platter with a smattering of
>nice stuff from the entire discography.  I find it makes a great
>CD to have on while cooking or puttering about the house;  in
>other words, for non-critical listening sessions.  It would also
>make a nice gift for friends who are completely unfamiliar with
>GG (yes, believe it not, there are some...).

Okay, okay, maybe I was harsh. Maybe. I can see how it would be a good
sampler. But I have all that stuff! Why would I want to pay Sony L13.00 for
sticking tiny bits of it in random order for me? (Dear, oh dear: one *is*
cynical tonight...)

But let me, at the risk of boring all you metropolitan dandies on this
List, whose music stores serve gourmet coffee and stay open 24 hours a day,
that my local (Birmingham, UK) Tower has just got in the three (final?)
Sony GG Edition. They are:

- the one I plumped for, which seemed the best value -- all Eaton's
recordings pretty well: JS & CPE Bach; Scarlatti (SMK 52620). Mainly early
70s recordings, with the exception of the Ital. Conc. which is '59. I
haven't (what?!) played it yet, so will comment on the great mastering
debate at a later stage;

- The Art of Fugue, which I'm afraid, having read so much criticising GG's
organ playing, I gave a miss;

- and the String Quartet; "So You Want to Write a Fugue" and a couple of
bits and pieces -- Shostakovitch etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations about these other two? *Should* I be
getting them? Are they indispensable? Can I sleep without them?

Very best,  Alun

ALUN SEVERN        *  Snailmail              1 Chestnut Rd  Oldbury
                                        W.Midlands  B68 0AX England
                   *  Tel                      + 44 (0)121 422 9509
                   *  Fax                      + 44 (0)121 643 0661
                   *  Email                  alun@ukiah.demon.co.uk
"Moral passion without entertainment is propaganda, and
                entertainment without moral passion is television."
                                                   - Rita Mae Brown