Re: GG Dream Recordings

On 15 Feb 97 at 21:43, Gregory T Romero wrote:

> Here are a few pieces of music that I wish GG had recorded.  I'd be
> interested in seeing other people's "wish lists".
>
> Beethoven Op. 53- I suspect that Gould would have disliked this work, but
> I think if he at least put some kind of effort into it (unlike his
> terrible Appassionata), it would have been a fascinating record.  Gould's
> rhythmic drive would be ideal for the throbbing first theme of the first
> movement, and his articulation in the final movement would have been a
> refreshing departure from the usually heavily-pedaled arpeggios.  I
> suspect he would have disliked the work because it is a piece cut somewhat
> from the 5th symphony mold (Gould claimed to dislike the 5th) i.e. with
> its heroicism and grandeur, and relative lack of humor, which he brought
> out so perfectly in the early sonatas.  In fact, I don't ever recall
> having read Gould even making reference to the piece.  Please tell me if
> there is such a reference.

"I'm absolutely at a loss for any reasonable explanation as to why
his best-known works--the Fifth Symphony, the Violin Concerto, the
"Emperor," the "Waldstein"--ever became popular, much less as to why
they have retained their appeal. Almost every criterion that I expect
to encounter in great music--harmonic and rhythmic variety,
contrapuntal intervention--is almost entirely absent in these
pieces." The Glenn Gould reader, p.458.

> Beethoven Op 81a - I know GG performed the Les Adieux early in his career
> and I wish he had recorded it.  It's kind of a quirky work that I think
> Gould would have made seem even quirkier.  And again, the fingerwork in
> the finale would have been breathtaking under GG's hands.

"... but as Beethoven grew more complex and more grandiose, Gould
liked only the enigmatic and eccentric transitional works like the
Les Adieux Sonata ..."  Friedrich, p.139.

      Peter Glenister            Bibliographic Services Librarian
      Mount Saint Vincent University  Halifax Nova Scotia B3M 2J6
      Telephone: (902) 457-6402               Fax: (902) 457-3175