Re: GG: Other pianists?

On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Alun Severn wrote:

> OK, this may well be anathema -- so go ahead, shoot me down -- but does
> anyone out there like Bach played on piano by *anyone* other than GG? If
> so, whom?

Wolfgang Rubsam: most works
Grigory Sokolov's Art of Fugue
Andras Schiff's Goldbergs

What I'm really waiting for is that somebody (Badura-Skoda? Tverskaya?
Lubimov?  Meniker?) should record the WTC on a fortepiano, using Czerny's
edition (dynamics, tempo changes, changed notes and all).  That's
ostensibly a record of how Beethoven played the WTC.  Authenticity of an
unexpected kind.

Bradley Lehman, bpl@umich.edu       http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl/
Using no manner of cliches in any way, shape, or form at this point in time.