GG: Hans Van Meegeren

If you're interested in that wonderful essay of GG's, "The Prospects of
Recording" I recommend a new book called _False Impressions:The Hunt for
Big-Time Art Fakes_ by Thomas Hoving, former director of the
Metropolitan Museum.  It's a funny book that really brings home GG's
points about authenticity.  Hoving says he's convinced that there are
as many bogus works as genuine ones!  I especially like his stories
that reveal "amusing errors of style" by the forgers.  There're also
quite a few pages devoted to Hans Van Meegeren, GG's "hero."

-Mary Jo