GG: Roxolana Roslak

AMRourk@aol.com wrote:

> I thought I was fairly well-versed on bel canto singers, but I had never
> heard of Roxolana Roslak before buying the Sony video and have found nothing
> about her since.  A search of some of my usual sources of information drew a
> blank...

The Encyclopedia of Music in Canada to the rescue! (2nd edition,
University of Toronto, 1992; 1524 pp).  I hesitated about buying this
humongous tome when I saw it at half price -- all for the long article on
Gould?! -- but I've never been sorry since.

I won't quote the whole article on Roslak, just some highlights, in
summary:

Born Ukraine 1940, naturalized Canadian 1953.  Studied voice as a child
in Edmonton and later at the Royal Conservatory of Music, Toronto.  Made
her Canadian Opera Co debut in _Der Rosenkavalier_ and spent 1965-66
season at Covent Garden.  Created role of Marguerite in Somers' _Louis
Riel_.  Many roles with COC in Boheme, Don Giovanni, Carmen, Joan of Arc,
Marriage of Figaro, Falstaff (1968-82).  Featured soloist with Toronto
Mendelssohn Choir's 1972 European tour.  Sang the Indian Princess in the
premiere of _Seabird Island_.  New York debut 19 Dec 1978 at Alice Tully
Hall, accompanied by Stuart Hamilton in songs of Debussy, Hindemith,
Weber and by others (violin, cello, piano) in _Louis Riel_ and
Shostakovich's _Romanzen-Suite_.  She recorded Marienleben with Gould in
1976-77, following TV appearances with him in 1975.  Can also be heard on
recordings of Somers' _The Fool_, _Louis Riel_ and on two Centredisk
releases that feature his works (1986, CMC-2385 and 1983, CMC-1183).  She
can also be heard on a recording of Anhalt's _La Tourangelle_.  There
have been other commissions and premieres.  In 1986 she began teaching
voice at the RCMT.

If I recall correctly, she makes an appearance as a "reminiscer" in the
video "Glenn Gould: a Portrait."

Hope that answers your question.

Eberhard Buehler.