Re: [F_minor] GG's GVs versus the world

Rosalyn Tureck's several recordings of GV were even more obsessive about "structural integrity" (and stiffly regimented details, all the way down to her "structural" graffiti ornamentation) than Gould's. It's to the point of dullness, IMO! :) Her piano recordings of GV are worth hearing, at least once, but the one on harpsichord is just deadly in that regard: so consistent and structurally rigid that "when you've heard one phrase, you've heard 'em all".

To my ears, a strength of the four published Gould interpretations was his way of letting things flow, *not* having a structural emphasis be the only -- or even the most important -- feature of the music. His live 1959 Salzburg perf is still my favorite of his, ahead of the more famous 1955 (which is cleaner but less exciting).

His 1981 record has moved upward a little bit in my estimation, compared with my opinion of it from about 15 years ago, because of the improved sound in the "State of Wonder" issue: I now like it a little bit better than my least favorite of the four, the 1954 CBC.

Brad Lehman

Kpapademas wrote:
Hi Mr. Singh - It appeared to me, at any rate, that the commentators were not well-versed in either of Glenn Gould's versions of the Goldberg Variations. I think they should have listened to the GG "interview" with Tim Page (that came with the "State of Wonder" CD).