RE: [F_minor] Keith Jarrett's Goldberg Variations

Bob,

your question about good/bad evokes the age old aesthetic discourse of which we know there are no absolutes and the discussion goes forever.  For a joke consider a bunch of hardy neanderthals (perhaps) working away by torch light, deep in a cave in Spain or France, say about 24000 years ago.  The artists drawing on the walls stop and admire each others work.  One of them remarks in his own way how much more realistic his antelope or zebra looks and for his comments he gets a lump of charcoal thrown at him by someone who took offense at the comment.  Three broken bones later the group straggles out of the cave heaving invective and threats.  The argument over who drew better or left more realistic outlines of hand prints went unresolved.  Are we that much above such a discussion?

To your second point, frankly I am not sure that we can at this stage of the evolution of the modern grand somehow feel that the precursor instruments make a more sumptuous, supple, monstrous, gigantic, orchestral, emotive, transcendental sound.  I just don't think that the old creaky beasties had it in them to create.  We have evolved a better and much more robust instrument and for my tastes, all of the past including what Gould covered in the Renaissance, sounds so much better on a big grand.

Gould's strength, in my view, is how many different lights he ignites in the imagination, how many unique shades that lay hidden in tempo or dynamics that was just waiting until his fingers revealed them?  The notes are always the same, more or less, between piano pounders, it's what remains in the mind and heart both during and after the event that counts most.

Cheers,

Fred Houpt
Toronto