RE: [F_minor] Beethoven sonatas (was Gibbons on piano)

My tag-sale treasure, a vinyl collection of 1960-1961 recordings made from
surviving rolls cut by European keyboard masters before World War One from
the Welte mechanical piano record-playback system (the Welte finger robot
plays them back on any desired piano, in this case Steinway Concert Grand
No. 61), had some great documentation, which contained this circa-1962
quote from Glenn Gould:

[listening to] the Welte rolls are

"... both enormously rewarding and deeply disturbing ... because many of
these performances are hard to reconcile with the architectural notions
which our own generation prize most highly ... one is made deeply aware of
the transitory nature of interpretative ideals, and one is even led to ask
fundamental questions about the nature of stylistic concept as viewed by
the performer."

So Gould, listening to near-perfect piano classic reproduction performances
played by the Euro-Goulds of the era around 1905, was beginning to think
all doctrinaire rules about interpretation and tempi of the classical
repertoire were simply unfounded in the actual history of performance. So
he might as well play these pieces entirely as he and his ear thought fit;
they in fact violated no clear instructions from the composers.

As a kid, my wife studied and achieved a lot on the piano. When she first
heard my Gould Mozart piano sonatas, she went to the CD player to find out
if its speed motor was broken.

The Welte recordings booklet shows a historical lineage of the pianists and
their teachers and schools going back to classical times. These recordings
are echoes of interpretations that can be traced directly back to the 18th
century.

Bob /Massachusetts

<f_minor@email.rutgers.edu>