Re: Humdinger

Danielle, with all due respect, you're obviously not a classical pianist
with this statement:
> I did find the swaying very disturbing
I grew up studying primarily with Russian teachers, and just about ALL
of them swayed when they played.  And it was encouraged from students,
to feel musical rhythm, etc.  Proper breathing was also encouraged, as
it was thought that the notes should 'sing' like the voice.

Cheers!

Danielle wrote:
As a paid up member of the FRSH (Fellow Royal Soc of guesswhat etc) I
bless Elmer for his masterly statement re where M Gould was at while
doing the h-thing.  However, having seen for the first time the man
himself in action last week (a borrowed video, "Mainly Strauss" seems to
be the only Gould video in So Africa)  I did find the swaying very
disturbing until I sorted out my own head.  I had a lot of help with
that having read much of what he said about it. I also found it
fascinating to try to interpret the dance//the music//his musical thinking.
However-no.- 2:  I do wonder how early he started all this movement -
did his mother ignore? Understand? Encourage? Pat on the head at her knee?
However-no.-3:  It was enormously moving to see his incredible fingers
dancing with such bewildering and incomprehensible (at my level of
playing) skill

Cordialement
Danielle

Danielle Law-Jackson
Primary address:  Omdraaisvlei Farm
P O Box 494  Prieska 8940  No. Cape, So. Africa
Telephone & Facsimile:  +27 (0) 53 35 3333 4
E-mail:  danielle@prieska.co.za <mailto:danielle@prieska.co.za>
Cellular:  083 46 1326 7
Or:
Rhodes University:  Department of Education
P O Box 94 Grahamstown 6140 E Cape, So. Africa
E-mail:  D.Law-Jackson@ru.ac.za <mailto:D.Law-Jackson@ru.ac.za>