Re: The Other Side of Glenn Gould

Leah Stanwyck wrote:

RCM lecture?  ack - try a 3 hour class on teutonic tones lol!  found
Gould's characterizations at hoot - although as an actor, if looking
at it from a purely acting perspective, he was quite horrible.   it
was if you could see Gould always laughing at his own parody!  i
particularly liked his Sir Nigel, the 'Dean of British Conductors' -
it was bizarre but true hehehe..

Some kind of mix of Sir Adrian Boult (the long Baton) and Sir Thomas
Beecham (the awful accent). Gould's English accent was bloody awful and
for someone with such an acute ear I'm surprised he wasn't a better
mimic. Never the less he is paying his own kind of tribute to these very
great artists I think....even if an Englishman would never, ever, ever
call the Royal Albert Hall 'the Royal Albert' (always the 'Albert Hall').

Neil