Re: completely off topic

At 07:10 PM 2/5/03 -0800, f h wrote:

Hi gang, this is totally off topic so forgive me.  I
was watching tv last week (a rarity for me nowadays)
and CBC TV had a special on Oscar Peterson.

Well, not completely off-topic as he was the recipient of the first Glenn Gould Prize, IIRC. :)

<snip>So, why do I post
this?  What would of come of Gould, I wondered, if he
had been really crippled, like Peterson, with a
debilitating disease?  I cannot imagine Gould
performing either on recordings or live (!!!) with
anything less than 100% ability.

I can't imagine him doing this, either. Most likely, under the same circumstances, Glenn Gould would have given up piano and turned to making more radio documentaries, conducting, writing essays, and so forth. And he would have enjoyed the heck out of those things. :)

By the way, while we're mentioning jazz pianists associated with GG in some
way, I read an astonishing anecdote about Bill Evans. After finishing one
of his major recordings, he tried to shoot up, and he was so jumpy that he
ended up hitting a nerve or something. Ugh. :( His right hand was
temporarily paralzyed. But he still had a gig coming up that weekend, and
he couldn't miss it. So he played all the pieces solely (or almost solely)
with his left hand. He did so well that word spread and people came just to
see him play the pieces entirely left-handed. The gig lasted two weeks.

------
Anne M. Marble
Holly Lisle's Forward Motion Writing Site: http://hollylisle.com/fm/
My Blog: http://gorokandwulf.blogspot.com/