Re: Another Goldberg (Gavrilov)

Peter & Matthew,

I too am a fan of Gavrilov's Bach, although sadly I
haven't heard his Goldberg. The D minor concerto
recording with Sir Neville Marriner is amazing, but
the harpsichord continuo seems to upset some people.
Personally, I am not bothered by it. I was wondering
how Gould's recording compares to this?

I also like Gavrilov's treatment of the WTC I on the
Euroarts/BBC DVD. The C minor and F Major preludes
suggest an almost limitless technical facility, but he
is certainly not without his moments of sensitivity.
It's interesting to hear some of the remarks he makes
about what Bach's music means to him:
"teleportation/space travel", "angels", "Germany",
"spooky-ness" and other such stuff...

Dave

"Yes, I have listened to Gavrilov, Perahia, Schiff,
both Goulds, and
dela
Rocha. Gavrilov is among my favourites for sure. His
Handel Suites with
Sviatoslav Richter are superb, by the way.

Gavrilov also has a fantastic recording of the Bach
piano concertos
that
would fully merit Glenn Gould's praise.

Matthew"