Re: GG recordings

Fred write

"While I'm asking has anyone got anything to say about the two Mozart recordings with the beautiful watercolor picture covers?  I saw them on amazon.  The covers are so different from the usual GG Sony CD covers.  Was it a special release?  I still haven't gotten the Mozart with GG and think maybe these are what I want especially #2."

Hi Fred,

Anyone respond to this yet? If I'm not mistaken, those are the same Mozart recordings that you can find on the Sony four disc set.   CBS in the mid 80s, after Gould's death, re-released a lot (if not all, I haven't checked) of his recordings.  Sony in turn, ends up with the CBS Gould catalog, and remasters them and starts re-releasing them in the early 90s.

I find the sound quality and liner notes better with the Sony discs than the CBS ones.  The liner notes to the few CBS recordings I have hardly, if ever, mention Gould at all and are instead some general comments about the music and the composer.  Also documentation of the recording is much better with the Sony discs.

My recommendation, go for the Sony.

Jim