Re: A question for all you Gouldians

Yep, Michael, I can relate.  In highschool, I was a rocker geek -
definition: one who plays an instrument obsessively and listens to
classical music full blast on a Sony walkman (but who will also listen
to Pink Floyd et al.)!  Was a young piano prodigy, took my music studies
seriously at that age, too.  Was quite the misfit, eccentric, whatever,
never fit in, mocked by the 'in' crowd, etc.  But you know what?  Be
comforted knowing that your love of Gould, Bach, etc., is the best thing
that could happen to you at your age - as most 17 year olds are such
self-absorbed, hormone-raging, think-they-know-it-all little goofs - it
gives you things that no little highschool slut could ever give, and
that's creative depth and intelligent reflection/actualization - which
will be with you forever, lasting a lifetime.  Bitter??  Noooooooo
(ahem)!  Hated highschool - thought eveyone at school was a classless
wannabe idiot (if I hear the word 'like' from a teenage girl one more
time I'm gonna screeeeeeeeem!) - was actually glad that my uncommon
music ability segregated me from everyone else.  You would not believe
the countless number of times I performed at school, only to be mocked
by other girls, saying things like, 'who does she think she is', or 'you
think you're soooo special, don't you', etc. (you get the point!).  You
sure get to know human nature pretty quickly - I highly recommend these
highschool epiphanies!

Cheers!

LS