Re: My personal state of wonder

hi danielle, I love glenn, therefore  I love you - a german man - ciao
----- Original Message -----
From: Danielle
Sent: Thursday, October 31, 2002 10:47 AM
Subject: My personal state of wonder

Dear F moll
Background saga:  Oh frabjuous day, calloo callay etc.  A call to say my set had FINALLY arrived in Cape Town on Fri...the first in So Africa?  After about 20 more calls, e-mails  & radio messages my long suffering brother (who loathes organs, is unhappy re harpsichords and deeply suspicious of Bach) collected, brought along to a conference in Bloemfontein (12 hours) and I collected (6 hours drive).
So traveling through a completely deserted landscape I made my first acquaintance with
(i) the Gould voice.  Fascinating to hear him speak, with such insights and humour and so immensely lucid.  Unlike most (prob) I found him remarkably easy to listen to - with virtually no accent!  I loved the quodlibet, and just the sense of friendship with interviewer, and (palpably) of knowing what he wanted to communicate and his skill and control in doing so.  Now I need to get a video to see the mannerisms:  any suggestions?
(ii)  A great number of you have indicated that the early Goldberg was the one to make life worth living.  As one who has been immersed in the 81 recording for over a year:  Yes, it was an absolute eye-opener, and I can now comprehend more of the ur-reasons for  the legend.  Matthew put it well:  the building blocks.  The different tempi, phrasing and subtle quirkiness are a delight...the passion of  a young genius and his love for the music: and yet.  Perhaps one's reaction is related to where one is in terms of personal development:  the 2 recordings move me differently at diff times: that's nothing new. However, over a lifespan of moving (horribly early) more into the intellect and less into the feeling  domain my abiding delight is in the coolness and control of the 81 (the sense of passion within the music), my amazed pleasure in the 55:  (the sense of passion in the person).  So to have at last these 2 recordings is a great gift.  Interestingly I found myself driving more quickly with less attention to a massive thunderstorm during the 81; and the Meerkat is more vocal with the earlier version.  With the later he tends to get affectionate and gaze out at MMBA (miles and miles of bloody Africa).
Rgrds

Danielle
Primary address: Omdraaisvlei
P O Box 494 Prieska 8940
Tel & Fax: +27 +53 35 3333 4
danielle@prieska.co.za
Rhodes University: Department of Education
P O Box 94 Grahamstown 6140
Cellular: 082 923 8828
D.Law-Jackson@ru.ac.za