Re: odd humming noise

>>off key) then you will be able to play it, because it
>>is "in your ear". it's true, at least for me.
>This was good advice.  Organists learning to play hymns for congregational
singing are taught to sing the alto, tenor and bass >parts as they play.

When you're singing yourself, you know what you're singing. But I don't know
what GG is humming. I've read about attempts to decipher his humming and
find its meaning. Was this research succesful?

To me personally, GG's humming adds nothing to the experience. In some
culminations when there's much going on musically and the humming is barely
audible, it finely accents the culmination. However, in the places where
it's heard very clearly, it spoils things (eg in some fugues of WTCI, in the
BWV924 prelude etc) . The music itself is good enough without any
"enhancements".

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)