Re: New article on Gould

Thanks Basil.   I do hope that I have motivated a few
lurkers to go out and buy the recent BBC mag and read
it for themselves.  Normally I enjoy most of the
editorials in the mag but I must admit that their
writers by and large usually portray Gould as a crank
and poo poo his eccentricity.  In fact what is so
irritating about these types of writers is that they
spend almost all of their words on denigration rather
than point out any highlights in Gould's oeuvre.
You'd get the impression that only nuts adored this
Canadian pianist and that mainstream guys know or knew
all along that Gould was just a product of hype.
Well, I say that this is garbage and the many books
written in loving tribute to Gould and the many
currently active pianists on the concert stage who
also adore him are enough testimony to how wrong these
writers are.  I'd say that the onus is much more on
the writers to show why we should be swayed by their
diatribes and in my opinion they all fall under the
spell of their own foul odors, the foul smell of envy
at the very least.  Well, I could go on ranting about
this but I've made my point.

regards,

Fred