From: Arne Klindt <a.klindt@GMX.NET>
To: F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU <F_MINOR@EMAIL.RUTGERS.EDU>
Date: Sunday, August 18, 2002 3:12 PM
Subject: Gould vs Horowitz / Brendel vs Gould

<unlurk>

Sarah Meneses was sad to find

>that
>most pianists contemporary to Gould, and some from older generations
>didn't mention him at all, or if they did, they had together with him a
>negative idea, like the way he moves or sings when playing.

Alfred Brendel says in a book of collected interviews /w Martin Meyer:

"To me Gould was the prime example of what an interpreting artist must not
be; he was an eccentric doing everything possible to counteract the wishes
or the character of the composer. There is innumerable evidence for this.
Sometimes he did this by exposing one or two aspects of the piece while
ignoring others."

"Glenn Gould made up his own rules - the word rules is not correct here I
find. Obsessions were the guidelines along which he performed and which
make his recordings seem so uniform in the way Gould treats the composers.
I have attended concerts, I have listened to recordings."

"I have always asked myself: This man is so gifted, why does he mistreat
composers so terribly? It seems to me that quite many people love this kind
of sadism (...) You can play pieces in many different ways, but - if you
please - within the limits, within the character and the structure of the
piece itself. Gould crosses these limits voluntarily, or he does not notice
them. Something inside him is at cross angles to the pieces he plays.
Apparently this seems very attractive to many people. It makes me mad
sometimes."

Taken from
"Alfred Brendel - Ausgerechnet ich"  [translates as: I of all people ;-)]
Carl Hanser Verlag, München Wien
ISBN 3-446-20001-0

Translation by me

Arne

</unlurk>

Remail: Original Timestamp: sometime in April 01