Re: GG a Question of Sex?

Elmer Elevator wrote:

>If so, now that so much (by no means all) of that repression has vanished --
Where are the oft-played works of >our Famous neo-Classical Women Composers? Is
there a female Samuel Barber, a female Leonard >Bernstein, a female Henryk
Gorecki?

I always thought of this topic as a matter of the size of the selection, so to
say. There are lets say, 10,000 men and 10,000 women - today, or especially
earlier (Baroque etc). 100 men from 10,000 - all hypothetical - choose to be
composers. Do you think as many women will choose to be composers, bearing in
mind the whole bunch of stereotypes? And imagine, there's a potential female
Barber or even Mozart among those 10,000 women. But under the yoke of
stereotypes only 2 or 3 women choose to be composers, they happen to be mediocre
personalities, and the female Barber chooses the career of a hairdresser...

I can't ground these speculations on scientific research but they don't seem to
be illogical to me ;)

P.S. It is outrageously off-topic though and I promise not to pollute Gould's
list  with this topic anymore :))

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://www.mp3.com/juozasrimas (oboe, piano, strings)