Re: GG and Marriage: a Question of Sex?

Title: Re: GG and Marriage: a Question of Sex?
------
 From  Juozas Rimas'  message

>> Another question: if you hear a recording by a pianist who you do not
>> recognise, maybe one you have never heard before, can you tell immediately
>> whether it is a man or a woman playing? If yes, how do you make the
>> distinction?>
>
> LOL, I sometimes have difficulty to distinguish between a male counter-tenor and
> a female alto (although the difference eventually emerges to me when the
> counter-tenor sings certain notes).
> Anyway, I doubt anyone can distinguish between a male and female pianist 100% of
> the time.

Well, maybe not 100% of the time, but I have heard one or two people claim they can tell a difference....but they can never explain what that difference actually is! As for myself,  I have sometimes heard a strange recording on the radio and thought "Aha....thats a man / woman". Sometimes I have been right. But what the hell, maybe it was just pure luck. I don't think there should be a difference.

But the idea that there might be a difference between the sexes  innate ability  to appreciate  or understand music (whether Bach's or not) is what shook me!

Kate