Re: '55 Goldberg

" However, I was wondering if some of the wise and experienced folk out there have any suggestions on first listening experiences (the first time that one listens to a recording, artist, or piece), both generally and specifically.  Thanks!"

I'm not terribly wise, but I'll have a go at this.

The first time I listen to a recording I just listen.  I don't follow the score.  Also, I think it is important to try to get the sound of another artist's interpretation out of your mind.  Listen to Glenn Gould on his own terms.  Don't try to lock him into a box.  You really can't compare him to anyone else.

I'm off track here.  I don't suppose this comment applies to people on this list.  So many people don't really listen to GG's music.  They are too busy comparing him to someone else. An example would be his Mozart sonatas.  If a person had never heard how they are "supposed" to be played he/she would think Glenn Gould's recordings were wonderful.  Compared to other people's playing they are certainly different.  I wonder if the people who criticize them so harshly had heard GG first if they would think differently.

James