GG: '55 Goldberg

Greetings to the F_MINOR crew!
     As a young student, I am just beginning a classical music recording library.  One of the recordings that I just purchased will be completely new to my ears--the GG: '55 Goldberg Variations.  I have the '81 version, as well as a harpsichordist version.  I have even heard a recording of the Canadian Brass Quartet play the Goldberg Variations.  It's great music.  However, I was wondering if some of the wise and experienced folk out there have any suggestions on first listening experiences (the first time that one listens to a recording, artist, or piece), both generally and specifically.  Thanks!

Sincerely,
wicks_m