Re: GG and the Brandenburgs?

--- Bradley P Lehman <bpl@UMICH.EDU> wrote:
> One especially worth seeking out is the set
> conducted and played by Alfred
> Cortot, 1931-33.  Very spirited and committed.

Yes, It´s on EMI Classics' "Références" series. I
found it at a more than reasonable price. At first,
piano sounds like the most gruesome atrocity you can
inflict the Brandenburgs. The first reaction to the
ear is the total loose of that rythmical presence that
harpsichord gives to the ensemble, that kind of
leadership that harpsichord's strong attack gives. The
Piano just sounds "too much blended". It even makes
much less sense it's very presence (if not even no
sense at all except for the solo parts).
I't not precisely a harpsichord lover, but it is a
fact that it's effect on a baroque orchestral ensemble
is unbeatable, hence the importance (and need) of a
clever balance of it's sound in recordings.
In some way, to me harpsichord is to the baroque
orchestra what drums are to the rock & roll band. It
makes the rymth of the piece more obvious to the
listener.
But obviously there comes Cortot's talent, because
after a couple of rounds on the recordings, you
actually begin to appreciate this nowadays "curious"
sound.
Of course, back in the 30's using piano instead of
harpsichord wasn't "daring" at all...:o)
Regards,
Pablo