Modernism in GG's Bach

Mediva -- most interesting comment.  I believe that GG tried somewhat to replicate the sound of a harpsichord (only slightly so).  In doing that, he pulled the piano Bach interpretations out of that [allegedly] very mawkish ditch into which it had fallen.  Before his dazzling and original interpretation were heard, apparently, individuals tended to play Bach in a "romantic" style (if they performed him at all).  Perhaps there is something to be said for that former style also.  In any case, GG in going back to try to recapture some of the original elements from the harpsichord sound, in my opinion, did create something "modern" -- original, crisp, alive, energized and passionate.