Greetings from a new member

Hello everyone,

I have just joined the list and wanted to say hello. I have been perusing
the archives and was delighted with all the lively discussion that goes on
here. I am actually presently listening to an interview with Murray Perahia
and will relay any comments about Gould for anyone who has not yet heard it.
As somewhat of a Perahia fan, I am hoping that he will at least appreciate
Glenn Gould. Okay, well this is the first tidbit, Perahia mentions that
"..it was only Glenn Gould, playing Bach in his special way.", when
referring to a sort of Bach revival on the piano in the 50's. Well, I guess
Gould certainly played in his "special way". I'll leave that as is, and wait
to see if there's anymore. That seems to be all he said, oh well.

     Anyways, this email was really just a test and a hello to everyone on
the list. I'm going to try to head down to Glenn Gould studio at CBC to see
if I can play on the Chickering. It's a perfect, cloudy and rainy day to go
visit Gould's piano. Anyways, I look forward to talking about all that is
Gould and to keeping his spirit alive in our hearts and minds, and hopefully
spreading his work and word to anyone who wants to listen.

Cheers,

Thomas

P.S. Just a few personal Gould-bits for anyone who's interested:

Favourite Goldbergs: I have to say the second one, it's such a profound
statement and expression of his conception of the work. So original a
creation, a work of sublime beauty and truth. No critic can take that away
from it, that it is some real truth, a work of art. Of course, I love the
first one as well, in fact, I think that they are both superb in their own
ways, and as they frame his life, to use the cliche, this dualism of sorts,
based on the single work, hauntingly and perfectly reflects the genius, the
life, and the mystery of Glenn Gould.

P.P.S
     Possibly interesting anecdotes:

    My mother, as a 15 year old going to school here in Toronto, once
caught a glimpse of a young, possibly 22 year old Gould in the lobby of the
Windsor Arms hotel, he used to stay there sometimes in the 50's, where her
and her friend waited for several hours for him to come down from his room.
 I know, a little idolatry for you on both my part and theirs, they were
both rabid Gould fans studying at the Royal Conservatory, from which he had
left only a few years before. They didn't get to talk to him though, they
were too nervous, but my mother did say that he was quite shy, but calm, and
kept his eyes lowered. He was, of course, decked out in typical Gouldian
fashion.

   Coincidentally, my father was working at the CBC, (Canadian Brodcasting
Corporation-Canada's public radio service an absolutely integral aspect of
our Canadian identity struggling for independence amidst the rather
overwhelming presence of our closest friends and neighbours to the South.),
while Gould was there in the 70's and he used to see Glenn in the cafeteria
sometimes. Though they never were never formally introduced. He remembers
how Glenn would still generally refuse to shake hands with people. They also
had the same technician, Lorne Tulk.  I thought that some of you might enjoy
these sorts of things, and I hope that some of you do. Okay, that was an
exeedingly long 'P.S and P.P.S', so I'll say farewell for the second time.

Bye for now, Thomas