Re: The "Italian Concerto" '59 '81

On Tuesday, November 13, 2001 at 12:52 PM Madiva wrote:

>We talk about the '55 and '81 "Goldberg" performances.

>But ' What You think about the ''59  and ' 81  "Italian Concerto"?'

>My personal feeling is that Gould in the '81 performance has a different approach about the "Andante".

>He's contemplative, extremely slowly, and the score seemed at "x ray".

The term “X-Ray” seems spot on with regards to the ’81 version.? I generally enjoy GG’s later

performances ( I really _do_ like the later Goldbergs!)? but his late Italian Concerto seems much

too analytical, too forced, and lacks the spontaneity that the earlier version exudes.

Listen to the ’59 Third Movement (Presto) and you’ll get see why it ranks among my top five

Gould performances. (Does anyone else see the humor in that movement?? I am not able to

listen to it all the way through without laughing!)

Dominic