Re: Robot Music

>You can hear Carlos trying in "Switched-On Bach." He (then) searched for every

Is Wendy Carlos a transsexual? Sorry if I misunderstood. It must have been a
very expensive thing, especially earlier in this century.

>Does anyone have some electronic/computer music he/she loves, and spontaneously
enjoys listening to
>again and again?

Electronic music has some value when it does not claim to be music. I once liked
to listen to an album called "Dig Your Own Hole" by Chemical Brothers (great
name for a band). All tracks had no tunes at all but the "breakbeats" were
meticulously crafted into a well-organized noise. The electronic music has many
branches and one of them, called "drum and bass" or "jungle" (the branches are
often artificial, created to emphasize the supposed originality of their
representatives) uses special African-sounding drum effects which can create a
marvelous atmosphere of savage energy. But note again - no melody and no music.
That's simply not the case. It's good to dance and to say "wow, this beat is
phat" but only once-twice.

On the other hand, you have guys like Vangelis, and, especially, J. M. Jarre.
I'm absolutely convinced that if Jarre had lived in the 18th century, he would
have been a quite strong composer and we would probably listen to him a lot now.
Some passages in his works (Oxygene-4, Rendezvous-2) bear an eerie resemblance
to some harpsichord/organ exercises. They are too basic, too minimal but this
scarcity may be dictated by the public demand.
Vangelis has some talent as well but he gears toward imitating orchestral sound.

Anyway, I haven't noticed any long-term attraction to electronic music in myself
although the first-time impressions were pleasant (and still are but I need
perviously unheard music with creative beats which is rare).

Juozas Rimas Jr (not the one playing)
http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/141/juozas_rimas.html