Re: FW: Best wishes to all Americans

Veronica--

Your words are testimony to the comfort and discomfort of music.  I know when I
have real trouble in my life--I turn of the stereo and can't listen to
anything.  When it all starts to get better, it's usually some bluegrass gospel
I want to hear first (the Johnson Mountain Boys singing "Daniel Prayed", maybe),
or Jimmy Cliff singing "Many Rivers to Cross."  Then I can try Gorecki, Glenn's
'81 Goldberg, and finally Franco Corelli lambasting Turandot or Pagliacci

How does that line go?  "He restoreth my soul."  Something like that....

Now, I am no big Madonna fan myself, but I have to report an identical
experience.  I was in a bookstore in Taiwan here today, by sheer necessity--all
I wanted to do was pull the covers over my head--when Elvis came on the
speakers, singing "Tell Me Mama."  God help me, I couldn't keep from tapping my
foot.  And that's when I knew it was going to be all right, somehow.

"Turn it up," big Van the Man said, "so you know it's got soul."  This is
precisely what he meant.  Life goes on, in its deepest healing rhythms and
melodies, in spite of the deepest tragedies.  It will not be defeated, and we
can't really say why.

We can just say thanks.

Larry