FW: Best wishes to all Americans

Dear Mary (and all),

>I think I'll put on Verdi's Requiem-- my own personal music of mourning.
>Does anyone have any suggestions for good 'dark night of the soul'
>music? Perhaps Brahms?

That's a great question.  I didn't play music on Tuesday; I was glued to
MSNBC.  But in the late afternoon (here in San Francisco) I went with my
husband, who'd been sent home early from work, to the grocery store.  We
just needed to get out of the house.  A woman outside was selling an 'extra'
edition of the San Francisco Chronicle with all the terrible pictures on it,
the first 'extra' since the bad earthquake here in 1989.  Inside the store,
the few shoppers were walking around in a daze.  People were hardly talking.
 And of all things, Madonna's "I'll Remember" was on the speakers when we
came in.  I had not heard it for years, in fact I'm not really a Madonna
fan, but I stood there and listened for awhile anyway, feeling sadder and
sadder.  I'm sure I'll never hear that song again without getting a lump in
my throat.

Veronica