Siegfried Idyll

Hello Anne!  :)

Glad you asked that question; the Siegfied Idyll as
conducted by G.G is among one of my most favourite of
his recordings ( honestly ). It is so beautiful and
sorrowful that I have trouble coming to terms with the
more traditional interpretaions. I think it's so
wonderful that the strings had to rethink the bowing
because it was so slow!

I was thinking about what G.G would be like as a
conductor after Kate C.R asked me what I thought he'd
be like now, at 68. Somehow, I don't think he would be
physically able to conduct 'live' due to his
innumerable problems with back & shoulder pain (
sitting too low at the piano maybe caused this Glenn!
), but as always I bet he'd have used this to his
advantage. My guess is that he would have used the
comfort of the recording studio to create/recreate
orchestral works. No doubt Gould would be in his
element trying to redefine the relationship between
orchestra and conductor, as he so magnificently did
with the roles of artist vs. audience. Logistically,
this would be very hard to do with an orchestra - what
with fees etc. He may have to gather a very special
and determined group of musicians together for this
moralistic/artistic mission into the orchestral
repertoire...interesting thought. Maybe he's doing
just that very thing now...on the astral plain of
course.

Then again,  I would like for him to just take it easy
- putting himself under less pressure, moving further
North and opening that animal sanctuary he so wanted
to see materialise. I wish he would have had someone
to look after him a bit better. His lack of
self-awareness saddens me. But what he achieved in his
short life is undeniably something nothing short of
greatness. If you're out there G.G, thanks...

NATALIE

XXX

=====
" When one makes a recording...you are influencing not only many more people numerically than you could perhaps in a concert, but influencing them forever - not just for one moment, one evening, which they may or may not recall, but forever. "
              Glenn Herbert Gould