Re: How to learn about GG

> There is an entire list of the books that GG had in his
> collection; books on objectivism are totally absent.

So is "The Last Puritan," which GG mentioned many times as
one of his favorites. Obviously the list is incomplete.
Also, we don't know what he thought about the books in his
library. He had a copy of John Updike's "Couples" in that
collection, yet he didn't live an "Updikean" life. (I
wonder what he thought of Lord of the Rings?...)

I'm not saying that GG was an objectivist. He was too
concerned with philanthropy. Perhaps it would be better to
describe him as an _individualist._ Surely no one on this
list could argue with that!

> One way to learn about GG is to spend less time drooling
> over his pictures and more time listening to his music
> and reading his writings.

To me, the Gouldian ideal for this list should be to have
_discussions_. We can have controversy, in fact that's to
be expected. But we should be polite. And that goes for
everybody. (Hint, hint.) If someone disagrees with Ayn Rand,
that doesn't necessarily mean she doesn't understand Rand,
that might mean she doesn't agree with her. Conversely, if
someone likes Ayn Rand, that doesn't give people on this
list a right to get snippy.

If you disagree, state your opinion, but let's not get angry over this. It only hurts people. It's not the purpose
of this list to flame each other over Ayn Rand or any other
topic.

It should be obvious to anyone on the list that while Zeldah
admires GG's appearance (which is her right), she is also
knowledgable about many aspects of his life. She also
had made some fine contributions to the discussions.

I would rather see people on this list post their opinions
and have real discussions than be afraid to step forth
because they might get blasted every time they mentioned a
controversial writer or performer or idea or thought. That
doesn't seem Gouldian at all.

Anne M. Marble