Re: Visiting Glenn Gould's Toronto

On Tue, 4 Sep 2001 18:32:39 +0100, Kate Clunies-Ross <goldbergs@TALK21.COM>
wrote:

>Fran's?  GG's favourite eating place??  Closed?  Oh, no!  GG would have
been
>despondent since he couldnt cook and its only about 100 yards from his
>apartment.  In early July it was open and seemed fine. We ate scrambled
eggs
>(of course!) which they were happy to cook for us although not actually on
>the menu  (they didnt have Poland water though) it seemed a friendly place,
>and fairly full of customers, even on my last visit when I returned alone
>early in the morning for breakfast!
>Theres apparently another Fran's outlet, on College Street; I suppose that
>has gone too, then.

I just found the picture I took of the bankruptcy notice that was posted in
the window.  It's dated July 23, 2001.  Perhaps you had the last meal
served there!:)  The Fran's on College St. is still open, but we didn't go
there because it just wouldn't have been the same.

>Ah well, I hope to go back one day; its a lovely city.

Yes, Toronto is a lovely city and Gould had it right when he said, "Toronto
does not impose its "cityness" upon you".

Joanna