recordings of GG's quartet

Paige Poe wrote:

>I also hate the fact that it's not on the soundtrack. The recording that
>I have of it--the only one that I know of, actually, though I hope there
>are more--just doesn't seem as good, for some reason, though I think it
>has the same performers: Bruno Monsaingeon and the others.  I wrote a
>letter to the Brodsky Quartet asking if they would please record Gould's
>string quartet. They never responded.

I prefer the first one by the Symphonia Quartet (members of the Cleveland
Orchestra, supervised by the 27-year-old GG) from 3/13/60.  That was
released on a Columbia LP back then, and reissued a few years ago on the
Sony CD 52679.

If you like GG's quartet you might also like one of its closest role
models: Schoenberg's quartet #1.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot