Re: What are HICCUPS? (Re: GG: Creaking Chair and Other Extraneous Thingies)

Hello,
  I've been reading this list for awhile now and finally I feel like I
should comment. The hiccups on the Inventions & Sinfonias album (as well as
various other tracks) are caused by regulating the action of the piano so
that the key-dip is as shallow as possible at the same time as leaving the
hammers at rest as close to the strings as possible. Gould apparently liked
the feel of shallow key dip with no after-touch, and asked his technician
to regulate the action this way. The hiccups occur because escapement isn't
complete causing the hammer to bounce back and hit the string. Regulating
the action in this manner gives a unique feel and Gould apparently felt
that the interpretation inspired by this piano was good enough to justify
the strange sounds of the hiccups.  I hope my explanation makes sense, the
workings of the piano are mysterious to most players. If you want me to try
a more thorough explanation let me know.
Keith Jones