Re: New Glenn Gould Release

Anne asked:

>I saw this listed on Amazon.com: "His First Recordings"
>Vai Audio - #1198
>Audio CD (July 31, 2001)
>http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00005NKJO
>
>Does anyone know more about this? Which first recordings are they?
>CBC recordings? Or even earlier recordings, perhaps even restored copies
>of the recordings he made in his teens?

I suspect it's (more or less) just one more incarnation of "The Young
Glenn Gould" which has been on Vox/Turnabout and on Fanfare (9032 from
1987).  That's the one I have.

It has "The Hallmark Sessions" originally on Hallmark Records:  Berg
sonata (rec 1951) and Shostakovich/Taneyev/Prokofiev violin pieces (rec
1953 with Albert Pratz).

It also has "The Private Recordings": four duets by Mozart (rec 1947 with
Guerrero, acetates, bad sound and incomplete pieces), and Guerrero playing
the Italian Concerto himself (rec 1947).  It's fun to hear what GG's
teacher sounded like.

That's not a guarantee that the VAI disc is the same, but a guess that
it's similar.

Bradley Lehman, Dayton VA
home: http://i.am/bpl  or  http://www-personal.umich.edu/~bpl
CD's: http://listen.to/bpl or http://www.mp3.com/bpl

"Music must cause fire to flare up from the spirit - and not only sparks
from the clavier...." - Alfred Cortot