GG's Writing Style

GG's writing style is another aspect that comes under
(constant) criticism. Yes, his writing was often
convoluted, and he liked big words. But was this accidental, perhaps an outgrowth of the way he talked?
Maybe he meant it to come out that way.

I'm not saying he shouldn't have been edited a bit more now
and then. <wink> Still, he had a voice. When you edit essays
and the like, you're supposed to preserve the voice of the
author, even if your instinct is screaming, _Isn't there a
shorter word you can use?_

What do you think is the most difficult element of GG's
writing style? Is it the writing style and the word choice?
Or is it the use of phrases and names from popular culture,
references to Canadian landmarks (such as highways), etc.?

Do you like or dislike GG's writing style? What are the
elements that make you like and/or dislike it?

Extra brownie points to anyone who can imitate GG's writing
style in their response. ;->

Anne M. Marble
amarble@sff.net

P.S. Well, at least Glenn Gould never wrote like the guy who
wrote the Eye of Argon. I mean, GG obviously loved his
Thesaurus, but unlike Jim Theis, he didn't take it out on
dates. Hope this URL still works:
http://www.cybercomm.net/~dano/hum-eyeofargon.html